Lovelane Safety Protocols & Guidelines Relating to COVID-19
General Protocols for Everyone
- Everyone coming to Lovelane, who can, should arrive wearing a mask and keep the mask on their person throughout their time at the barn.
- Indoors, including the Family Viewing Room, Offices, Hallways & Bathrooms:
- All staff, volunteers, students, families and visitors are required to wear a mask indoors at all times.
- Vaccinated staff are not required to wear a mask when seated at their workspace.
- Outdoors, Including the Parking Lot, Barn & Riding Arenas:
- People who are fully vaccinated are not required to wear a mask when they can maintain a distance of at least 3’. Everyone should have a mask ready to wear when distancing cannot be maintained.
- Vaccinated staff and volunteers are not required to wear a mask during riding lessons unless requested by the family.
- Riders are not required to wear a mask during their lesson, although they are welcome to continue to do so if they choose.
- Unmounted Group Programs:
- Masks will be worn when students, staff, and volunteers are together as a group, working in pairs, or otherwise unable to maintain social distance of at least 3’ outdoors.
- Masks will not be required when social distance can be maintained.
- Riding Lessons (Individual Therapeutic, Recreational & Group Horsemanship Workshop Riding Lessons):
- Students are not required to wear a mask, although they are welcome to continue to do so if they choose.
- Vaccinated staff and volunteers are not required to wear a mask unless requested by the student’s parent/guardian.
- Unvaccinated staff and volunteers are required to wear a mask.
Parents and guardians may request that your student’s instructor and volunteers wear masks during your student’s lesson, and we would be happy to honor this. Please notify the Program Office in advance so they can plan accordingly.
Possible Exposures & Close Contacts:
- A student, volunteer, parent/guardian, or staff member who has been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 and is considered a close contact (someone who has been within 6 feet of an infected person (laboratory-confirmed or a clinically-compatible illness) for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period) is required to stay away from Lovelane for 10 days. People who are unvaccinated are additionally required to provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test, administered at least 5 days after exposure.
- A student, volunteer, parent/guardian, or staff member should not come to Lovelane if a member of their household is displaying symptoms of COVID-19, is in quarantine, or is monitoring themselves for symptoms because they are considered a “close contact”.
- Vaccinated individuals who have traveled within the United States are not required to quarantine or provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test result before returning to Lovelane
- Unvaccinated individuals who have traveled within the United States, with the exception of New England, are required to quarantine for 10 days OR provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test, administered at least 5 days after returning from travel, before returning to Lovelane.
- All people traveling internationally are required to quarantine for 10 days before returning to Lovelane. Unvaccinated individuals must also provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test administered at least 5 days after returning from travel.
- All Lovelane staff, volunteers, students and their parent/guardian(s) must STAY HOME if they are ill or show any symptoms of illness, including, but not limited to fever (temperature of 100°F or above), feeling feverish or having chills, gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhea, nausea, vomiting), new loss of smell/taste, sore throat, headache, difficulty breathing, cough, and/or new muscle aches.
- All staff, volunteers and students must complete an updated Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Liability form.
- Everyone is required to wash their hands or use sanitizer upon entering the facility.
- Bathrooms are available by entering through the front door. As the hallway is a small area, everyone should maintain 6′ of distance, use caution when entering the building, and watch for others.
Student & Family Guidelines
- Instructors will get their students in the parking lot and escort them into the building.
- Students must wash or sanitize their hands prior to their lesson.
- Students who are riding must bring and wear their own ASTM/SEI-approved riding helmet.
- As our Family Viewing Room is small, we request that you limit the number of parents/guardians coming to view your student’s lesson. Families are encouraged to wait in the car if appropriate/ possible.
- If a student’s lesson is going to take place in the outdoor ring, parents/guardians may walk through the barn to access the outdoor ring to watch the lesson.
- We recommend that you apply sunscreen & bug spray to your student before their lesson (weather permitting).
- If families have questions for Lovelane staff, they should coordinate a time to talk over the phone or via email instead of coming into the Lovelane offices.
- If a student needs to miss their lesson for a reason related to COVID-19, i.e. the student is ill or has been in contact with someone who is ill, and cannot provide more than 24-hour notice, the missed lesson will be eligible for a make-up lesson. The cancellation must be communicated prior to the session and it will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian to connect with the Program Office to coordinate their make-up lesson. If they do not communicate with the office then the lesson(s) will be forfeit.
- Volunteers will enter and exit the facility through the barn and not come in through the office.
- Volunteers should bring as few personal items into the barn as possible and will leave their personal belongings (including their cell phones) either in their car or on the volunteer shelves in the barn. Volunteers must take all of their belongings home after their shift; there will be no place to leave anything at Lovelane.
- Volunteers need to bring their own water bottle to the barn (we will not have cups available for water). A water bubbler will be available at the barn entrance by the volunteer shelves to fill water bottles.
- Leaders will use one lead rope for the duration of their volunteer time and transfer the clip from horse to horse. That lead rope will be cleaned after their shift.
- Sidewalkers will be assigned to help clean and sanitize between lessons while the leader is tacking the horse for the next lesson. Barn volunteers will also be asked to help clean and sanitize throughout their shift.
- Volunteers will wash or sanitize their hands between lessons.
Instructor & Tack Guidelines
- Instructors will choose tack for their lessons in advance so staff can prepare for that day’s lessons. The instructor, or a barn staff member, should place it out in the barn before lessons.
- Instructors must wash their hands before and after each lesson.
- Instructors are responsible for regularly cleaning and sanitizing any game or activity they use in their lessons, and/or managing their volunteers to do so for them.
- All tack inside the tack room will have been cleaned and sanitized.
- Tack, grooming tools, halters, and lead ropes will be cleaned and sanitized regularly. Some high-touch items, such as reins, will be cleaned after each use.
- Instructors must wipe down their computer and workspace after use.
- When checking the cancel line in the office, instructors must use speakerphone.